For many, exfoliating is a skipped step in their skincare regimen. However, exfoliating your skin on the regular basis is a key to maintaining healthy, vibrant skin. As we age cellular turnover decreases, which contributes to loss of elasticity, vibrancy and firmness. Additionally, dry, dead skin cells on the surface of the skin can clog pores, contribute to acne and dull the skins appearance.
- Rejuvenates skin by promoting cellular turnover
- Creates a smother, visibly more vibrant complexion
- Enhances the absorption of other products
- Clears away dead skin, debris and impurities to help prevent breakouts
At Home Exfoliating Treatments
Exfoliating at home 2-3 times a weeks should be part of your weekly skincare routine and there are LOTS of great products you can easily incorporate into your regimen.
- Physical exfoliators are easy to use, safe and gentle when they utilize round, refined, granules, such as hydrated silica or jojoba beads. They gently remove dead skin & debris without irritation and leave complexion smooth and vibrant.
- For the face, avoid granules such as sugar, salt and ground pits or seeds. These have harsh edges and can cause micro-tears and irritate the skin. We also recommend avoiding microbeads because they are made of plastic and harmful to the environment and wildlife.
Suggested product & key ingredient: Citrus Facial Scrub - Hydrated Silica
- Retinols and retinoids are very common, effective exfoliants found in many products, however many experience adverse effects of redness, sensitivity and flaking. If you have concerns about sensitivity look for botanically derived, 'retinol-like' alternatives ingredients such as Vit-A-Like, found in our Botanical A Night Serum. You will get the benefits of a traditional retinol without the adverse effects.
- Popular chemical exfoliation acids include Glycolic, Salicylic and Lactic and can be found in over the counter cleansers, toners, wipes and liquids. Chemical exfoliating products are all the rage right now, but the acids can irritate the skin and cause dryness and sensitivity, so don’t overdo it! We suggest opting for low to moderate concentration levels of the acid in the product or opting for a more gentle acid like Succinic Acid, featured in our Refining Gel Cleanser, which has been show to have similar benefits to Glycolic and Lactic Acids, but without the irritation.
Suggested products & key ingredients: Botanical A Night Serum - Vit-A-Like
Professional Exfoliating Treatments
We always recommend regular services with a skincare professional. A skincare professional will be able to evaluate your skin and recommend the type of treatment to best address your skins needs. Additionally skincare professionals can offer more advanced, cutting-edge treatments that deliver enhanced results without damaging your skin.
- Chemical Peels
- Enzyme Peels